The Center For Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) memo QSO 20-38-NH (PDF) announces the publication of a new rule at 42 CFR § 483.80(h) that establishes nursing facility testing requirements for staff and residents. CMS also revised the COVID-19 Focused Survey Tool to include the assessment of the new rule.
- On August 25, 2020, CMS published an interim final rule that requires NFs to test staff and residents, including people providing services under arrangement and volunteers, for COVID-19.
- Staff: NFs must document that testing was completed and the result of each staff test.
- Residents: NFs must document in the resident records that testing was offered, completed (as appropriate to the resident’s testing status) and the results of each test.
- CMS revised the COVID-19 focused survey tool for surveyors. The revised tool includes:
- The assessment of compliance with the new testing requirements.
- The assessment of compliance with the requirements for NFs to designate one or more individual(s) as the infection preventionist(s) who are responsible for the NFs infection prevention and control program.
- Other revisions to reflect additional COVID-19 guidance updates.