The Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) contracts with managed care
organizations (MCOs) that are licensed by the Texas Department of Insurance
(TDI). HHSC pays each MCO a monthly amount to coordinate health services for
Medicaid clients who are enrolled in the MCO's health plan. The health plans
contract directly with doctors and other health care providers to create
provider networks for the MCO's members to use. The health plans provide all
Medicaid-covered medically necessary services to their members.
Medicaid managed care includes 5 programs through which Medicaid managed clients receive benefits:
- STAR – STAR is Medicaid for children, newborns, pregnant women and some families and children.
- STAR+PLUS – STAR+PLUS is a Medicaid program for people who have disabilities or are 65 years of age and older. Clients in STAR+PLUS receive Medicaid basic medical services and long-term services through a Medicaid managed care health plan.
- STAR Health – STAR Health is Medicaid for Children who get Medicaid coverage through the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. One Medicaid plan provides both medical and dental services for all children in STAR Health.
- STAR Kids - STAR Kids is a managed care program designed to serve children and young adults who are 20 years of age and younger who receive disability-related Medicaid.
- Children's Medicaid Dental Services – Most children and young adults who are 20 years of age and younger with Medicaid or CHIP coverage receive dental services through a managed care dental plan.
Clients are considered for coverage based on their permanent address and the type health care they require.
Service area maps and county lists
Medicaid Managed Care Organizations (MCO’s) Participating in the STAR+PLUS Medicare-Medicaid Plan (MMP)
Texas Medicaid Provider Procedures Manual Medicaid Managed Care Handbook
STAR Kids MCO Training Manual TMHP Web Security and Permissions
Automatic Medicaid Managed Care Enrollment for Some Individuals
Additional information for providers who received the Information Letter No.
14-23 regarding the September 1, 2014 expansion of the STAR+PLUS Medicaid
Managed Care Program to the Medicaid Rural Service Areas (MRSAs).
Provider transition training for STAR, STAR+PLUS, pharmacy, and children's dental services. Click
here for recordings of webinars and training sessions.