The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has issued Quality Safety & Oversight Memo QSO-22-02-ALL (PDF).
The memo includes the following key updates:
- CMS is announcing steps to assist state survey agencies in addressing the backlog of complaint and recertification surveys. These steps include:
- Revising the criteria for conducting COVID-19 Focused Infection Control (FIC) Surveys.
- Guidance for resuming recertification surveys.
- Temporary guidance and minor flexibilities related to complaint investigations.
- CMS is increasing oversight in nursing homes to allow a more focused review of quality-of-life and quality-of-care concerns.